ST CATHERINE’S COLLEGE ADMISSIONS
We understand that it can be a very daunting, but also an exciting process when deciding which school is the right school for your child, whether the transition is from primary to secondary or between schools during the year.
St Catherine’s College would like to help you with the process by providing you with as much information as possible, as well as offering an opportunity for you and your child to see the College in action on one of our admission tours held throughout the year.
Although St Catherine’s College manages its own admissions, you are required to apply for a place through East Sussex County Council.
MAIN ROUND APPLICATIONS – YEAR 7, SEPTEMBER 2020
For parents/carers whose child has been offered a place at St Catherine’s College
If you wish to accept a place at St Catherine’s College, the Admission Form will need to be completed and returned to us by 4.00pm on Wednesday 1 April 2020. Failure to do so may result in your child losing the place.
Please also see 'Transition from Primary/Junior School to Secondary School' by clicking on the link to the left of this page.
MAIN ROUND APPLICATIONS – YEAR 7, SEPTEMBER 2021
Applications should be received by the Local Authority by the deadline of 31 October 2020.
Open Evening is on Tuesday 15 September 2020 from 5.45 pm and gives you the opportunity to tour the school, talk to students and staff, and hear the Headteacher’s speech.
We will also be offering morning tours of the school on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday during Open Month; Monday 21 September – Friday 16 October 2020. You will observe lessons in action and see the school first-hand whilst gaining a feel for the atmosphere and ethos of the school. There will also be the opportunity to ask our Headteacher, along with other members of the Senior Leadership Team, any questions that you may have. To make an appointment, please contact us on 01323 465400 after Open Evening.
IN-YEAR APPLICATIONS 2019-20
All in-year applications for places at St Catherine’s College must be made via East Sussex County Council. The online application form can be accessed by clicking on the link below.
SUPPLEMENTARY FOUNDATION FORM
Applicants can apply for a Foundation place or a Community place; an equal number of places are allocated to each criteria. If you or your child regularly attends a public place of worship and you wish to apply under the Foundation criteria you must complete the Foundation Form (found at the bottom of this page) in addition to the East Sussex County Council Application Form. Church School F8 applications do not require a Supplementary Foundation Form to be completed.
St Catherine’s College is responsible for managing a waiting list, where the number of applications exceed the number of places available. The waiting list is not chronological but is applied in accordance with our over-subscription criteria. Details of the criteria can be found in the Admission Policy which can be accessed by clicking on the link below.
If your application is unsuccessful and you wish to place your child on the waiting list, please contact the College directly. If a place becomes available and you are at the top of the waiting list, we will send you a letter offering you a place.
The waiting list will operate for one academic year only, after which all names will be removed unless you contact the College to remain on the waiting list.
If your application has been unsuccessful, you have the right to appeal where your case will be heard by an Independent Appeal Panel. Appeal requests must be made by completing and submitting an online Appeal Form to the School Appeals Service at East Sussex County Council. Further information about the appeals process, including the School Admissions Appeal Form, can be found by clicking on the link below.
You may also find the following information useful:
- For Main Round Appeals (entry into Year 7 in September 2020), the deadline for submitting an appeal is Wednesday 1 April 2020. Appeals will be heard week commencing Monday 15 June 2020 at the Best Western York House Hotel, Royal Parade, Eastbourne.
- For In-Year Appeals, appellants are to be allowed up to 25 days from the date of notification that their application was unsuccessful to prepare and lodge their written appeal
- Appellants will receive at least ten school days notice of their appeal hearing
- Appellants are allowed up to seven working days before the hearing to submit additional evidence, for admission authorities to submit their evidence, and for the clerk to send appeal papers to the panel and parties
- Appellants are to be sent decision letters within five school days of the hearing wherever possible.
- For applications made in the normal admission round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals
- For late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 school days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged
- Appeals submitted after the deadline must still be heard, but this can be done to a timescale set by the admission authority
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further information.
East Sussex County Council Online Application Form
Appeals Process Including Appeal Form