St Catherine's prides itself in offering all our students the best possible careers guidance. We prepare students for the world of work and support them to make informed decisions about their future options.
Our careers programme
We update our careers programme annually. It is mapped against the Gatsby Benchmarks and the Careers Development Institute Framework.
The eight Gatsby benchmarks of Good Career Guidance:
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each pupil
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
We have successfully completed the re-assessment for Investors in People. We will continue to hold this prestigious award until July 2022. St Catherine's has held the Quality in Careers Standard for the last 6 years.
If you have any questions about our careers provision, please contact;
Gisèle O'Connor, Careers Lead on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01323 465400 or
Lea Hepburn, Link Governor for careers at email@example.com.
What our Year 11s went on to next, in 2020:
- 92.9% - education (up from 89.5% in 2019)
- 1% - employment with training (down from 6% in 2019)
- 2% - NEET not in education, employment or training (down from 2.5% in 2019)
- 1.5% - training (up from 1% in 2019)
- 1.5% - employment without training (up from 0.5% in 2019)
- 0.5% - not known (down from 1.5%)
- 0.5% - out of cohort (no change from 0.5% in 2019)
Helping your child decide on their next steps
We have lots of useful information to help you as a parent.
Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM)
On STEM Learning website you can download a Parent's Guide to STEM careers.
These new courses follow GCSEs and will be equivalent to 3 A Levels. The 2-year courses were developed with employers and businesses. They were designed to meet the needs of industry and prepare students for work.
Visit the GOV.UK website to find out about T Levels
Opportunities in the motor industry
With over 150 motor careers to choose from, IMI Autocity provides students with the information they need to develop a career in the motor industry.
Their website has motor industry information for parents
The 'Careermag for parents' magazine has support and advice for parents. It keeps parents up to date with the latest career and qualification information and outlines a variety of career options for students.
As a parent, guardian or carer, you’ll play a key role in guiding your child as they take their next step. Whether they get top grades or don’t thrive in academic environments, apprenticeships shouldn’t be overlooked. With new higher and degree apprenticeships popping up each year, they could get the best of both worlds – learning and earning at the same time.